Fished, Farmed & Gathered
Food & Wine Magazine came up with the idea of “Collaboration Nation” to describe chefs working with customers, vendors and each other to bring the best flavors and experiences to those who love food. Here at Spruce Point Inn in Boothbay Harbor, our chefs have operated on these principles from the beginning, sourcing the locally fished, farmed and harvested ingredients from the best seasonal farms and producers in Maine. They then prepare the menu with cooking techniques that preserve the foods’ integrity, flavor and nutrition.
Midcoast Maine is the beneficiary of a cornucopia of retired/relocated professionals who have left banking or IT to go back to the land and –Spruce Point has built relationships with local farms and other food purveyors, sourcing ingredients like the fresh Aroostook beets and lavender-honey chevre from Tourmaline Hill Farm, greens from the hothouse built by a drummer from the band Phish and cheese from the State of Maine Cheese Company, a business created by a Manhattan banker in Rockland.
It’s an exciting time to be in the restaurant business and especially exciting to be part of what’s happening here.
Our local Maine Farms and Producers:
- Ararat Farms – Lincolnville, Maine seasonally fresh vegetables of all varieties
- Cellardoor Winery – Lincolnville, Maine
- Curtis Farm – Farmer and butcher of Maine beef, lamb, and pork. 95% of our meats are specially prepared by Curtis Farms
- Backyard Farms – Madison, Maine fresh tomatoes
- Mill Cove Lobster Pound – Boothbay Harbor, Maine local seafood harvested or caught wild in the region
- Morse’s Sauerkraut
- Tourmaline Hill Farm – Northern Maine
- Sonnental Dairy
- State of Maine Cheese Co.
- White Duck Farm
- Crown of Maine Organic Cooperative – farm agent for a number of farms throughout the midcoast area of Maine as far north as Fort Kent. Representing Maine farms.
- Real Food Institute
- Brewer Dairy – Maine farm produced milk
- Bowden Egg Farm – Maine farm fresh eggs
- Glidden Point Oysters – Local Damariscotta River oysters
- Roundtop Icecream – Damariscotta, Maine
- Maine Shellfish – Farmed Maine mussels, salmon, and wild caught fish, clams, shrimp, and scallops